An Independent ‘I do’
10 ways to make your wedding independent, ethical and extra special.
2020 has not been a good year so far for beautiful, big weddings. Despite the cancellations & postponements though, plans and dreams are still happening as are proposals!
How about making your wedding even more special by reducing waste, choosing handmade, independent & British sourced?
Our Member’s Club is packed full of inspiring ideas, makers, artists and producers. Dive into a really special independent ‘I do’.
- The Rock – if your proposal includes a stunning engagement ring with a bling rock then think ethical from day 1. Choose precious stones that are ethically sourced & find out more here from Global Witness.
- The Venue – this decision is so important and often centres around childhood memories, photography backdrops, size and style. How about asking your venue about their sourcing and ethical values too? Questions could include how they source their food & drink, whether they pay a living wage & how they manage waste. Check out this award winning ethical venue.
- Modes of Transport – we all know that travel will be part of any celebration but carbon footprint can be reduced without spoiling your wedding. Think horse drawn carts, keeping the wedding in the UK to avoid flights & maybe even a stroll to the church! And of course the honeymoon – choose and independent travel agent to source well.
- Hen & Stag Party – although we might fantasise about a party in Vegas or a week in the Greek Islands, how about a home grown celebration? There are some inspiring ideas and locations that are planet friendly and create all the magic memories you want. How about a Yoga Retreat or learning Couture with friends? Check out some independent courses here.
- The Food & Drink – such a vital part of any celebration! Choose British, artisan, seasonal & delicious and you can’t go wrong. Here are some independent producers to inspire.
- Fire & Flame – tempting as it is to make your wedding more magical with fireworks and Chinese lanterns, it’s worth remembering that nature doesn’t respond well. Fireworks in quiet location can be distressing to wildlife & lanterns regularly start fires and harm animals.
- The Pictures – the most precious items we have from the big day. If you’re hiring someone for the job choose independent freelancers every time. Dedicated, expert and flexible, you can really get what you want while supporting a small business along the way. Check out some freelance photographers from our Club.
- Beauty Secrets – if you’re brightening your skin and pampering yourself ahead of the big day, then choosing ethical and environmentally friendly is the ideal solution. Not only better for the planet, with less plastic but also much better for your body and spirit too. Get started here for some award winning treats.
- Inviting Guests – invitations are often integral to the styling and feel of a wedding. Getting a bespoke and personal invitation that has all the right messages is key. Choose independent and hand made very time. Check out Lisa’s beautiful creations here.
- The Dress – how could we forget?? Build even more magic into the day by choosing British made, independent shops and beautifully hand made details. It’s not that difficult and you can start here.
- [Bonus!] – Handmade gifts. Whether you’re treating your guests or saying thank you to the bridesmaids, make it handmade and ethical every time. Discover outstanding artists and gifts here.