Member Interview | Sculpted Steel
Our quest is for you to fall in love with indie business in Great Britain and to help you discover some of the stand out ones. We are doing this one story at a time and with the NEW Member Interview – short sharp quick questions to help you get to know the people behind the magic.
First up is the very talented Charis from Sculpted Steel. We asked her a few questions….read on to see her answers….
- Tell us who you are and what your business is. Charis from Sculpted Steel. I make beautiful bespoke metalwork from my forge in Stoke-on-Trent
- What prompted you to become a business owner? I wanted a business that fitted around my family commitments that I had control over.
- What would be the single piece of advice you would give your 18 year old self? Say No a lot more often. You don’t have to try to please everyone
- If you could have dinner with ay 4 people in history, who would you invite and why? My mum, who died 16 years ago, Carrie Fisher, Robin Williams and Terry Pratchett. They are all people who have influenced my life in different ways and without whom, my world would have been a much greyer place.
- What has been the highlight of your life so far? Looking back and seeing how far I’ve come against all the odds
- What has been your hardest lesson as an indie business owner? Preparation and planning is everything!
- If you met someone today who was thinking of setting up their own business, what would be your number 1 tip? Only do it if you really have the passion. It’s the only thing that keeps you going when it gets tough
- What is the biggest challenge you face in your indie business? Trying to juggle all the different hats I have to wear – I’d love to just get in the forge and make things all day, but the business has to be done too
- Finally, tell us something we didn’t know about you or your business. In a former life, I showered in Tom Jones’s dressing room and ironed Michael Ball’s underpants…….!